Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Good Samaritan - and how my kids can be good neighbors


Wow!  What a week - I can't believe it's already Thursday.  I've been thinking of this blog since hearing the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37) Sunday at church and can't help but think that God had his special timing in place for this lesson.  School started on Tuesday for my kiddos.  Junior & Freshman in High School along with two tiny Kindergartners.  Such a big transition for me.  

My two youngest kids have stayed home with me for the last 5 years.  I've been planting these little seeds of academia into their brains of course; but my big focus, my major focus, has been equipping them to be good neighbors.  Fortunately they have had a lot of practice since they've been together from the beginning.  I've constantly reminded them to be kind, loving, compassionate, trustworthy, and genuine.  We've read books on 'no biting', 'all people are different', 'God loves everyone' and with that my hope and desire for them when they encounter that big world of school is that they remember it all.  Oh sure, there will be set-backs - fights and disagreements - just like there were they last few years at home together.  But my hope is that they will remember our 'lessons' and act according to godly ways, thoughts and actions.  Just as the Samaritan did on that path long ago.  He didn't look away and cross the street, he faced the pain and discomfort head on.  He payed for medical treatment and he washed the wounds of the man himself.  I hope my kids will be that Samaritan.  They will not only act like him but they will be him if they see a friend or neighbor in need.  So, yes, I want them to learn to read, write and add; but my most important focus for them is to be of godly character - always.

I love putting notes into my kids lunch boxes (even though they aren't fluent readers yet).  I was so excited to find biblical focused lunch notes.  Click here to print them and stick them in your child's lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home